Pixologic Inc Presents
Magic Wheelchair Comic-Con Contest
Contest Run Date: April 30th – May 31st 2018.
Who is Magic Wheelchair? Magic Wheelchair is an organization that builds costumes for kiddos in wheelchairs, at no cost to their families. Magic Wheelchair is a non-profit organization that teams up with artists and builders to assemble theme-based costumes that are fabricated to integrate with the child’s existing wheelchair.
Check out a gallery of previous builds here
Magic Wheelchair has set a goal to build seven Star Wars themed costumes which will then be unveiled to seven boys or girls and their families at the 2018 Comic-Con.
Pixologic is calling on the amazingly imaginative talents of our ZBrush artists to design one of these seven Star Wars costumes. You design the costume, and the team headed up by Frank Ippolito at Thingergy Inc will bring the winning design to life.
Starting Monday, April 30th, 2018 Pixologic Inc. has launched a ZBrush community contest with the challenge to design a Star Wars themed costume for one chosen kiddo. The contest will run until Thursday, May 31st, 2018.
The winning design will also be included with the other professional build teams for the big reveal at Comic-Con. These teams are:
- Thingergy Inc Team
- Monster City Studios Team
- McMaster Robots and GT Props Team
- Tom Spina Studios Team
- Fon Davis and Fonco Studios Team
- Tested.com and Adam Savage Team
- Pixologic Inc. Team
We encourage you to get the popcorn ready and start watching those Star Wars movies for inspiration!
Do you know a child that you would like to nominate for a chance to receive one of these Star Wars costumes? Visit Magic Wheelchair’s site for further details.
To design a Star Wars themed costume that will be given to one Magic Wheelchair kiddo. Your goal if you choose to accept it is to replicate anything from the Star Wars universe into a wheelchair ready costume. This could be any vehicle, ship, character and or other element of existing Star Wars designs.
Please use the existing Star Wars Universe IP designs creatures, characters, vehicles, ships, etc. Do not create new or original designs.
The winning digital design will be fabricated for a custom fit on the chosen kiddo’s wheelchair. This design and final costume will be unveiled at the 2018 Comic-Con in San Diego, California.
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED
To assist with an accurate, general understanding of designing for a wheelchair, Pixologic is providing Magic Wheelchair ZBrush Project to get started.
Download the MagicWheelchair_Contest2018.zpr before beginning your design.
This Project contains:
- One subtool with actual measurements of the powered wheelchair.
- Images of the powered wheelchair for a better understanding of how your design may fit in relation to the wheelchair. Please keep in mind that this is not the exact wheelchair for the kiddo you are designing for. Rather, it is meant to give you a general direction for design.
Please keep your design compact and maneuverable. Here are some great examples for you to reference.
Keep in mind that your design will need to be either CNC or 3D Printable. This means that it must be a “watertight” mesh.
Watch the Video below to understand how to use the Magic Wheelchair Contest 2018 ZBrush Project File:
The winning design will be fabricated into a one-of-a-kind costume for a Magic Wheelchair kiddo and will be presented to the kiddo at the 2018 Comic-Con in San Diego California.
- The winning artist will be credited at the 2018 Comic-Con unveiling.
- The winning artist will also be announced and have their design featured on Pixologic.com and ZBrushCentral.com.
- Further prizes by Pixologic will be announced at a later date.
DESIGN SUBMISSION DETAILS
What Must be Submitted
Contest entries must be submitted in the form of a thread in the ZBrushCentral.com Magic Wheelchair forum. The title of your thread must include the name of the Star Wars themed item you have chosen for your inspiration.
Begin Your Challenge
We have created a Magic Wheelchair Contest forum. Please visit this forum to begin your own thread.
Title your thread with the Star Wars themed design that you’ve chosen.
As an example the Pixologic Inc Team design thread will be titled:
Poe Dameron X-Wing Fighter
During the Contest
We encourage you to actively participate in the contest by including WIP images, explanations of your techniques, interaction with people who comment in your thread, etc.
The full criteria that will be monitored for each entry are:
- How well the final entry expresses the contest’s Star Wars theme. If the final submission does not fit the theme then it will be excluded. For example, the most amazing dragon ever seen would still be disqualified because dragons haven’t been seen in any Star Wars films.
- Overall use of ZBrush features: Majority of the sculpt must be completed in ZBrush to qualify. The judges will be depending on your WIP images and accompanying descriptive text to see that the model truly was created using ZBrush.
- Submission must be a completed image (not a Work In Progress stage) and have a completed 3D Model ready for upload to Pixologic Inc.
Your “Final Entry” post must provide the following:
- Your final post for the contest thread must contain the words: “Final Entry.”
- Final submission must be posted in your contest thread by 11:59 PST on Thursday May 31st.
- At least one final posed image that is colored, sculpted and rendered completely in ZBrush or KeyShot. Minimum image dimensions are 1,500 x 1,500 pixels and a third party program may only be used for compositing the final render.
- If your design is picked as the winning design you will be required to upload your file to be downloaded by Pixologic Inc for the Thingergy Inc team to evaluate. Please remember that your design will need to be CNC or 3D Printable.
- Please also include in your final entry the name you would like to be credited under. This could be your full name or your ZBrushCentral username.
Judging will be by a panel of industry experts and professionals within the Magic Wheelchair Organization and Thingergy Inc. Judges will be given Friday, June 1st, 2018 through Monday, June 4th, 2018 to evaluate each contestant’s entry.
This panel’s judging will determine the winner of the ZBrushCentral Magic Wheelchair Comic-Con Contest.
Any ZBrushCentral member is welcome to enter the contest. One ZBrushCentral thread per artist. (Should you change your concept, the new work must continue within the original thread.)
This is a ZBrush contest and emphasis will be placed on the use of ZBrush to create all assets produced for this contest. Majority of the design must be completed in ZBrush. The entrant is encouraged to show within the WIP thread the original creation of all assets. If the entrant uses assets from a third party or assets created prior to the start of this contest, this fact must be disclosed at the point in the WIP thread where the asset is first introduced. Use of any asset that would infringe upon a copyright other than Star Wars is prohibited.
Any character deemed to be the same or similar (in whole or in part) to one currently published by yourself or any other artist will be disqualified.
Any image deemed to contain content that depicts explicit acts that are overtly violent, sexual, cruel or brutal will be disqualified. Such entries may be closed during the WIP phases of the contest at Pixologic’s sole discretion.
The challenge runs from Monday, April 30th, 2018 through 11:59PM (PST) on Thursday, May 31st, 2018. The final post for your entry must be created no later than 11:59PM (PST) on Thursday, May 31st, 2018. No late entries will be accepted.
An independent panel of judges from the Magic Wheelchair Organization and Thingergy Inc will be deciding the winner of the contest.
- Final submission must be posted in your contest thread by 11:59 PST on Thursday May 31st.
- Judging will take place June 1st, 2018 through June 4th, 2018.
- Entries may only contain the original completed work during contest scheduled timeframe and concepts of the artist(s) submitting.
- Only the final winning design will be unveiled during the 2018 Comic-Con.
- If your costume is picked as the winning design. You will be required to upload your final ZBrush Project for download by Pixologic Inc. You may use any upload system that works for you, for example, Dropbox, WeTransfer, Box, Google Drive or any other uploading service. Your file will only be used for the purpose for fabrication with the makers of this contest.. Pixologic Inc will be communicating with the winning contestant through the Private Messaging of ZBrushCentral along with sending out an email to the registered ZBrushCentral email address. Please be on the lookout for any emails or Private Messages on ZBrushCentral starting June 6th, 2018 or any time after this date.
The winning design will be announced on Wednesday, June 13th, 2018.
All dates are based on the U.S. Pacific Time zone. Entry and voting deadlines are at 11:59 pm PST on the date in question.
The sponsors of this contest may use final or winning artwork for marketing purposes in the context of the challenge, and agree to credit the artist if any such artwork is used.
All entries are the property of the respective artists. Pixologic may use submitted artwork for the purpose of promoting this or future contests. If any artist’s work is used in this manner, the artist will be credited.
Pixologic reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entry that does not adhere to the spirit of ZBrushCentral and these rules. Pixologic also reserves the right to suspend, adjust the dates, modify or cancel the contest, including these rules, in any manner and at its sole discretion. This may be done with or without prior notice.
In the event of a dispute, ruling will be made by Pixologic legal counsel based upon the rules laid out herein. Legal counsel’s ruling will be final.
If you do not agree with any of the above terms and conditions, please do not enter the contest.